Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Holy Grail Sunscreen: From the Drugstore!!

Just because the weather is starting to get cooler (in my neck of the woods, anyway!) one shouldn't abandon the religious daily application of a good sunscreen. I have always known the importance of sunscreen, but I admit I only started using it daily this past summer.

You see, I can't stand sunscreen. Historically, my skin has been a bit on the oily side and prone to breakouts. Although I have tried sunscreens that are oil-free and all that jazz, my skin always feels like a plastic layer is encasing it, trapping in oils and perspiration. Gross! A truly yucky and unpleasant feeling, not to mention the fear of breakouts.

One's skin needs to breathe!

Thankfully, I have discovered the best freaking sunscreen ever! Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch! At a conference this past May, a colleague was using it, and she let me have a squirt. She said she loved it, and I was impressed by the way it went on and seemed almost powdery-feeling after I had rubbed it on. Well, that feel would be the "dry-touch" aspect.

I have some acne scars that are a bit reddish, and I've idly wondered if I should explore something drastic to get rid of them, e.g. dermabrasion, peels, etc. Then I read this summer that sun exposure makes acne scars redder. Well, DUH! So obvious, but it hit me like a lightning bolt. Somehow, this epiphany was the prodding I needed to start using my new discovery on a daily basis. Why on earth would I be thinking of a procedure for my skin when I'm not even doing the most basic thing to help fade the scars and protect my skin from future damage!

I wear the 45 SPF version of the sunscreen under my makeup every day (I don't use moisturizer), and it works like a dream. One very hot day, however, I slathered on an extra huge amount to go outside and do yard work (no makeup). As I toiled away at some especially recalcitrant weeds, I began to perspire, and my face became a horrible mess. It was so bad and miserable-feeling that I was literally wiping my face with my T-shirt! Yuck!!

Based on that experience, I would recommend keeping the application down to a even, liberal amount without going overboard. It's sheer---but it doesn't disappear. The Ultra-Sheer Dry-Touch sunblock comes in several SPF levels going up to 100.

I give this sunblock a 5 out 0f 5 points, aka a "Euridice YAY!" rating. And, it's available at your good, old local drugstore!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails